Saturday, August 6, 2011

Itty bitty Quiches

With the first day of school right around the corner, I was digging around looking for some quick options for breakfast for my picky little eater as well as some lunch options.

My little one loves quiche so I thought we would give this recipe a try.  Unlike a previous recipe that we tried that was disgusting that one came out quite yummy.  And it's fun for the kiddo's to help out with too.

I adapted this from a recipe I found on Eating Well

5 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
8oz cubed ham and turkey
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Because I am lazy and don't like to scrub pots and pans I lined a regular muffin pan with paper liners and then sprayed them with pan.  I really don't want these quiches to stick!

In a large measuring cup, beat the eggs and milk together along with your seasonings.  I used 2% milk cause that's what was in my fridge.  You could even use egg beaters if that's what floats your boat.

In the lined muffin cups, evenly distribute the cheese and the ham and turkey.  I used some chopped fresh deli meat.  You can use anything you love in quiche here.  (Or that your picky eater kid will eat!)  Sausage, mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, bacon, green onions etc.  Use any kind of cheese that you like too.  I used a shredded cheese blend.    Next pour in your egg mixture.  I had enough for 11 mini quiches.

Pop them in the oven and bake for 25 mins until nice and golden brown.  Allow to cool in pan for about 5 minutes and then remove them to a wire rack.  Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.

If these are a big hit in your household, make a big batch of them and you can freeze them for up to a month.  Once fully cooled, wrap in plastic and place in freezer. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.

0 comments: