Friday, November 13, 2009

Product Shout Out - The Foodsaver

If you have ever debated getting a Foodsaver?  Well, I LOVE mine!  I actually got a new one about three months ago.  I got it at Sam's Club for under $100.  My old one unfortunately died but it has served faithfully for 9 years so I definitely got my money's worth out of it.  I have one of the most basic models but even so it is an improvement from my previous one.  This one seals hands free (which is the best!!) and does better with sealing bags with moist food.  


If you don't store foods for long periods of time, a freezer bag will probably do the trick just fine, but if like me, you find a bag of something at the bottom of the deep freeze, the Foodsaver is a must have.  It really does keep things fresh for what seems like forever and there is never any freezer burn.  


It really can help you save money by buying in bulk and separating it into smaller portions.  A few days ago I bought a bunch of meat at Sam's to replenish Old Mother Hubbards Freezer.  


A 5 1/2 pound beef brisket which I divided into two.

Huge Boneless Pork loins were on sale.  I bought one that weighed about 7 lbs.  I divided this into:1 lb cubed boneless pork
6 boneless chops (approx 1 lb)
1 1b unsliced
2 - 1 lb 15 oz portions (I will use these to roast, or use in the crockpot.  I can make one just for our family, or two together if we are feeding guests)

Boneless, Skinless chicken was less than $2 a pound.  
2 - 1 lb bags of cubed chicken
2 - 1 lb 5 oz bags of chicken breasts (2 very large chicken breast in each bag)


Ground Beef (90% lean) was $12.27 for 4 1/2 lbs.
3 - 1 lb portions
2 - 8 oz portions (to use in spaghetti)
1 - 10 oz portion (just happened to be what was leftover)



So not only do I save money but I have perfectly portioned bags of food all labeled and ready to go.

0 comments: